USGS - science for a changing world

Kansas Water Science Center

Jump to content

Jump back to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

The Kansas District receives numerous inquiries, by phone or mail, from citizens attempting to obtain scientific information on a wide variety of subjects. While we always make every attempt to fill an information request, we also feel it is our responsibility to pass on to the appropriate person or agency any request that we are unable to handle directly. Listed below are some frequently asked questions with answers to better guide you in obtaining appropriate information.

  • Where can I obtain information about recreational opportunities on Federal Lands?

Visit the new USGS Recreational Website at URL

This site is aimed at the outdoor and recreational enthusiast. It includes a vast amount of information on nature, boating, camping, climbing, fishing, hiking, and hunting.

  • Where can I obtain USGS topographic maps or basin maps of Kansas?

Topographic and other USGS maps can by purchased from the Kansas Geological Survey at (785) 864-3965, which is the USGS map outlet in Kansas. If you want to obtain topographic maps or information about maps directly from the USGS Earth Science Information Center, call 1-888-ASK-USGS (1-888-275-8747) or from the Internet the URL is:

  • Where can I obtain aerial photos?

Contact the EROS Data Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota at (605) 594-6151 or from the Internet the URL is:

Contact the USGS Earth Science Information Center at 1-888-ASK-USGS (1-888-275-8747) or from the Internet the URL is:

  • How do I find out about USGS benchmarks?

The National Geodetic Survey NGS has a site where information about benchmarks may be obtained.

Contact the USGS Mid-Continent Mapping Center in Rolla, Missouri at (573) 308-3500 or check out their website at:

  • Where can I obtain earthquake and fault information?

The USGS has extensive information on earthquakes. You can contact the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colorado, at (303) 273-8500 or 1-800-525-7848. Some internet URL's to try are:

National Earthquake Information Center -

  • Where can I obtain flood-plain maps?

Contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or call 1-800-358-9616. In Kansas City, Missouri call (816) 283-7061.

  • Where can I obtain information about streamflow and flood predictions for streams in Kansas?

Contact the River Forecast Center at (816) 540-5151. You may obtain more information on the Internet at the following URL's:

for near real-time streamflow information in Kansas -
for flood warnings and weather information -
for river and flood forecasts in the Missouri River Basin -

  • I am planning to go boating or canoeing, where can I get current boating or canoeing information?

First check our "Current Data" page for up-to-date stream flow information on the internet at URL The Kansas District home page provides links to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for release information below reservoirs and current reservoir information as well as links to USGS adjacent states information.

USGS Recreational Web -

Kansas Canoe Association -

  • Where can I find information on soils in Kansas?

Contact the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in your county more information at:

A listing of soil surveys by state can be found on the internet at: http://soils/usda/gov/

  • Where can I obtain information about volcanoes?

Contact the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Washington at (360) 696-7693.

USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory -
USGS headquarters -

  • How do I get information on wetlands?

Contact the Regional Wetland Coordinator, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at:

Contact the Kansas Wetland and Riparian Areas Alliance coordinator at:

USGS Home Water Resources Biology Geography Geology Geospatial

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information:
Page Last Modified: 2016-12-30 10:14:09 CST